wiki reorg - Documentation Team

Justin Wong stryderjzw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 21:21:45 CEST 2008

Hey Stroller,

I did read most of the emails on this list and, although it's a bit
unrealistic to answer every question, I will try my best to give some
opinions on the matters.

- what do you think of the content on the Main Page?
The Main Page should have as few "content" as possible. See below
answers for what I mean.

- is it suitable for people visiting the Openmoko Wiki for the first time?
I'd say, no. There's an overwhelming amount of stuff on the main page.
I believe the theme of Main Page should be simplicity and it gets
people to other pages.

- should it be? Or should it be suitable for everyone visiting the
Openmoko Wiki, even if they've visited before?
It's hard to answer this question without identifying the main groups
of users of the wiki. Presumably, there are people new to Openmoko
(without any previous knowledge), and then there are veteran core
developers. Perhaps there are more categories of people. But these are
my assumptions without doing any actual research.

The wiki and documentation should work for all these people. We
shouldn't cast anyone out.

- whatever else you think of the content on the Main Page.
Please see the first question.

I must say, though, that with a team of any significant size, we'll
unlikely be getting consensus on every matter. What happens then?

I see quite a bit of work going into the wiki right now, but how does
this work fit into the overall big picture plans to fix the
documentation?  Is this bigger picture written down somewhere so wiki
maintainers know what they're doing is right or is there currently
only a list of "random" tasks to accomplish? Example, how do we know
we need a FAQ? Who is the FAQ targeted towards?

For sure, I see a lot of good things happening!  I'm just a little
apprehensive about whether all of the work is in the direction.
Perhaps I'm just missing the document that shows the research and
decisions before actual work takes place.

I'd love to hear back on thoughts and opinions.

Cheers!
Justin