wiki reorg - Main Page

Justin Wong stryderjzw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 08:53:38 CEST 2008

Hey Ferenc,

I see some good suggestions made by you and others in this thread.
I'd like to share my vision for the Main Page and what I can I bring
from a user interface background.

My main approach is user centric design, so all design decisions
should be with the users in mind. The Main Page should cater to the
people who use it the most. While, ideally, there could be
surveys/questionnaires done, with the current resources, it seems like
too much work.

First, I'd like to put in my proposal. The focus of the Main Page must
be user centric. My ideal layout would be three columns, one for each
type of user that we get.  They are New Users, Phone Users and
Developers. Everything should be organized under those categories so
people can quickly identify who they are and get the most relevant
information.

The current boxes (In News, Community & Events, etc) should really go
in the menus on the left of the page. There's probably some rewording
that can be done there.

Finally, to point out some things about the current Main Page.

What I like about the current Main Page:
- I like the colours. I think it fits the Openmoko theme very well.
- The slogan is great for sending a clear message about Openmoko in
very few words!

Minor gripe currently:
- The language options should go at the bottom. The first screen of
the main page is valuable real estate. It's important to populate the
most important things at the first screen so people can find it at
first glance without scrolling.
- The introduction is good, but too long.  Maybe retain only the first
paragraph.
- About Software Stack and the picture, I think it just needs to be
moved. It's a great picture and the term Software Stack is important,
but probably only in the developer section.  We need to think about
who the audience is for everything we do.

Please give your feedback/guidance. Cheers!

Justin