Application: Where would you categorize this?

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Oct 3 22:21:39 CEST 2008

Ferenc Veres wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Michael Shiloh írta, 2008-10-03 04:22 keltezéssel:
>> Awhile back someone mentioned the application "Conduit":
>>
>> "Conduit is a synchronization application for GNOME. It allows you to
>> synchronize your files, photos, emails, contacts, notes, calendar data
>> and any other type of personal information and synchronize that data
>> with another computer, an online service, or even another electronic device.
>
> Office Applications I think.
>
> Note that FreeDesktopOrg defines all E-mail and related applications as
> Office (AND Network). Also, our Telephony stuff (Contacts, for example)
> belongs to Office in FreeDesktop.org, but we separated those because
> this is a special area on the phone, deserves it's own category. (We may
> change that later anyway.)
>
> I would find "PDA sync program" in Office. Of course this application
> can do much more, that may make it difficult to find in some cases.

I agree. Office was the one that made the most sense to me.

There is a difference in that FreeDesktopOrg defines menus, and thus an
application can be in more than one category, which relieves some of the
  need to "get it right". In our case, since it only appears once, we
care  more that it is in the place people will expect it to be so that
they can find it.

I agree to that Telephony is a separate category. Someday there may be a
standard for this (perhaps we could suggest this to FreeDesktopOrg,
although it clearly clashes with their title, or perhaps we will create
some sort of partnership with other mobile distributions and develop a
standard. Someday...)