opkg vs ipkg

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sat Oct 11 00:59:18 CEST 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:22:26 +0200 (CEST), "Ferenc Veres"
<lion at netngine.hu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This page describes ipkg commands:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Package_management
>
> I've added that TODO some time ago, but did not have time to clean it up
> yet. Now, I realized, this page has a LOT of links. Also a link from
> Getting Started with your Neo FreeRunner.
>
> Does that mean, that Om 2007.2 uses "ipkg" and not "opkg"? Does that
mean,
> that all these "ipkg" instructions are still up to date?

Since April 4 2008 the first line on that page has been "NB: Current
(2008-04-04+) builds of Openmoko now come with the syntax compatible Opkg
tool, not ipkg".  Since Sept 7 it's sported the "TODO: Integrate useful
content into Opkg as a usage section" note, but that doesn't appear to have
been done yet...

There was some discussion two months ago about opkg.  IIRC, it is currently
just a slightly cleaned-up ipkg.
It will accept packages with either .ipk or .opk extensions, (two different
'ipk' formats: older was a tarball while the more recent is, like .deb
files, a compressed archive - those are the same as we use and are
essentially .deb files with architecture-specific info) but there's no ipkg
binary with OM, only opkg.  One of the reasons: "iPKG" is a registered
trademark of George France, handhelds.org, for the ipkg 'itsy package
management' software.
http://lists.openmoko.org/nabble.html#nabble-td661582