RFC: Combine "Openmoko_Wiki_Editing_Guidelines" and "Edit_Wiki"

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Mon Sep 1 06:25:44 CEST 2008

Ferenc Veres wrote:

> Michael Shiloh wrote:
>> Avoid duplication! (perhaps I'll add a note to this effect in the
>> "Openmoko Wiki Editing Guidelines")
>

> Hi,
>
> We could use "Edit Wiki" for general welcome, encourage and overview
> page of editing wiki. Use "Openmoko Wiki Editing Guidelines" for
> detailed description of how to edit things (using templates, assigning
> to categories).
>
> This way the Edit Wiki page needs only small changes, I think tips for
> Advanced editors should be renamed to something not containing advanced
> (not even I consider myself as advanced editor, so I would ignore such a
> section, I don't wanna learn about deep details of namespaces, subpages
> and such things) :-) ) (Unless absolutely necessary.)
>
> And somehow make the list of links a bit easier to use. I use that page
> often (as it is linked from Menu), but I always scan through several
> times to find the specific link I am looking for (guidelines, issues..)
>
> The format is cool anyway, with these "!" words, they could be heading
> maybe. Let's keep a page for people interested in wiki editing which is
> NOT a bloated detailed description of every single thing a wiki editor
> might need to know, and let's keep that as a second step.
>
> Too long reasoning. :-(

Hi Ferenc,

It's an interesting argument, but I propose that our focus is on making
the wiki as easy to manage and navigate, and as easy as possible to find
information. I think that the more pages the wiki has, the harder it is
to maintain, and the more likely it is that there will be errors.

In spite of the advantage you suggest, I maintain that we should combine
these two pages.

Michael