Deleting outdated/unused pages

Minh Ha Duong haduong at centre-cired.fr
Tue Sep 2 17:41:53 CEST 2008

> My apologies if I missed anything on the subject, but I have to agree
> here. A separate category for each translation of a page just doesn't make
> sense to me. Does wikipedia do this?

Wikipedia has a separate wiki for each locale (including Volapük, Simple
English and the like to the point that  http:/www.wikipedia.org/ is nowadays
a very interesting place to test system's Unicode capabilities.)

Our of my head, alternatives are:

1. English-site only, no translation. Proposition rejected.

2. Don't translate category names, tag translated pages with the English
category names. This clutters the "List of pages in this category" and is not
language friendly.

3. Append language code to category names. We moved to that model from the
previous one a few weeks ago. This clutters the "List of subcategories in
this category" instead, and search results remain duplicated.

4. Set top level categories as ISO locale code, then category names in their
own language under that. Search results for proper nouns like "FreeRunner"
will remain duplicated, but not for "Keyboard". Ugly hack ?

5. Each langage gets its main namespace.

6. One wiki for each language.

5 or 6 are probably the sensible way to go, but involve big work for the
hosting company's engineers.

For 5. the http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Namespace_manager
feature is not included in the Mediawiki. There is an extension
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Simple_namespaces
but it is not installed : http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Special:Version

For 6. see issues with multilingual mediawiki at:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multilingual_MediaWiki

Also, the correspondence between translation should be maintained with tags:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Interlanguage_links

Minh
--
Minh HA DUONG, Chargé de Recherche, CNRS
CIRED, Centre International de Recherches sur l'Environnement et le