Shaking up the category tree

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Thu Sep 11 23:50:16 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Thanks for working  on the category changes, the results look quite
good. (We could really have the

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Category:Categories link in the main menu
replacing "Category Overview" now... no?)

I am glad that we moved Applications and Distributions from Software,
because they were HIDDEN there, in a useless container.

The split if "Intended Audience" from Community is also a great idea,
however I am not sure about the category name. Seeing this name, I
expect an article writing about "who should buy FR" and so on. Actually
the best top level category for those pages would be the "Guides",
because these are guides (most of them), and they are categorized by
intended audience. (I think all articles under

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Category:Guides

could be recategorized to these four audience names, and then umbrella
them under the top "Guides" (which should not contain articles directly.)

Michael Shiloh írta, 2008-09-11 21:56 keltezéssel:
>>> Hmm. What goes in here? Isn't almost everything technical? I think this
>>> category is meaningless.
>> Categories presently under Technical are about the environment, in an
>> information ecosystemic way: Emulation, Carriers, Protocol... How we
>> interface with things that are outside us. It needs renaming too.
>
> "Technical" is clearly wrong, but I'm not sure that "Environment" helps.
>
> Emulation I would put under development.
>
> Carriers under basic users
>
> protocol belongs with developers.
>
> Perhaps allow things to be uncategorized until we settle, rather than
> creating awkward categories. Environment can just mean too many
> different things to be useful.

Yes, I agree, I also wanted to move those that way. And then next is the
50 articles directly in Technical, same applies as for Documentation.

>>> I might go along with this, but I'd like to understand your thinking.
>>> What goes in here?
>> Subsystems, from an engineering point of view: USB, GSM, GPS, SD MMC, CPU,
>> Glamo, Sound, Wifi, Accels, Power, Vibrator, Casing
>>
>>> If people think of this as "hardware" then best to use the common name.
>> These tags also should apply to drivers, protocols, applications.
>
> Ah. I understand. Yes, I agree. Rename "Hardware" to "Subsystems" I
> think, where "Subsystem" would include both the hardware and the
> software aspects.
>
> Much better.
>
> +1

I am not sure about this. Hardware is a word everybody understands.
Seeing hardware category users will know they find GPS antenna,
FreeRunner schematics, CPU info, Accelerator.

Under "subsystems", what's that? D-Bus? Panel applications? X11?

>>> Agreed. Too big a category. Pretty much everything that isn't explicitly
>>>   hardware or social groups becomes software. A category that is
>>> "everything else" is not a valid category, IMHO. Was this your thinking?
>> Yes. Almost emptied now.
>

> Excellent! You've been busy.

Cool! Thanks! :-)