Propositions on categories

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Sat Sep 13 19:29:19 CEST 2008

Ferenc Veres wrote:

>> Comment  #3 From JePe  2006-10-30 14:09:18 UTC
>> "On category pages in big wikis it is linking to a page with only the
>> first 50 categories from thousands of categories. So most visitors are
>> directed to a useless page when they are searching for other categories."
>
> Awww, ignore that reasoning. I know we will reduce # of categories, and
> I agree with that idea. (However it's near to the final already.)
>
> Same thread older mails:
>
> I don't think we should rename Hardware, because it contains
> subcategories for components and lot of articles can be assigned to
> these, GPS, GSM, USB etc. And it's self explaining, not like
> "Environment" or "Functional".

-1. It's a meaningless category.

ANyone searching for GPS info will go directly to GPS. The fact that GPS
is inside of the hardware container will not help them in any way.

As someone else (Minh?) pointed out, our hardware and software is too
closely tied. E.g. the recent problem with GPS that required the
capacitor and/or turning off the SD clock. Hardware or software? Where
would you go to search for that? I know I'd search on GPS, not hardware
or software.