Python programs (or other script language) on wiki?

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Fri Sep 19 20:00:44 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have some problems with this idea.

(Hehe, sorry. ;-) )

First, I hate to see programs editable by anyone what I plan to install
on my operating system. I trust a project repository much more, thank
public wiki. I guess (didn't check) write access is not automatic after
registration on the projects tracker.

If the script is 200-500 lines, this applies even more. If it is 20-30
lines only, it's great to copy/paste to/from the Wiki. I can overview it
before running.

 From Wiki you will have to copy/paste the script for developing it.
Then you will work for some hours, and when copying back, you may
overwrite someone else's changes (or someone will overwrite your changes
the same way). I guess you don't want to develop in the edit field of
the Wiki. Merging may be much more difficult than with SVN tools.

So I think, longer scripts should be packages, shorter ones could be
copy/paste. But short and very often used ones should also be packages.
I hope "Basic End User" (=no config file tweaking) will be able to use
most basic functions, even if that's done by a small script.

Regards,