RFC: delete "hardware" and "Neo 1973" from "Navigation" box (also add FAQ and applications, and repurpose applications)

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Fri Sep 19 21:35:46 CEST 2008

Michael Shiloh írta, 2008-09-19 20:50 keltezéssel:
> 1. Remove "Neo 1973" and "hardware"

We had the idea of adding http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Phones instead
the two phone names. I liked that.

> 2. Add a link to the FAQ

+1

> 3. Add a link to "Applications"
>
> IIRC we've discussed the "applications" page. What was the conclusion?
>
> My opinions:
>
> 1) the current "applications" page is not really meaningful. Half of it
> belongs on a developer page of some sort. The other half might serve as
> an introduction to a real application page
>
> 2. The purpose of the page should be for finding applications for the
> FreeRunner. Thus, the page "Openmoko_Community_Applications" should be
> renamed "Applications", and each application can indicate whether it
> comes from the community or from Openmoko. Then we (I volunteer) should
> add all the applications we know about that are not yet listed.
>
> 3. If "applications" gets too big, we break it up into function (games,
> PIM, system tools, etc.) and not by source. Reason: Users wanting an
> application are first concerned with functionality, and only secondarily
> with where it comes from.

It's already there, called Applications CATEGORY.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Category:Applications

All what you say is there. Please note the List Pages on the top of the
articles (above A), there you can see we have too many of Article List
Pages. (Also mentioned on
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wiki_Issues#Redundant_Pages.

oops, wiki editor know-how should go to discussion page I think

"Our reference standard here is the Freedesktop application category
names. "  (That's on Applications category description.)

Regards,