RFC: delete "hardware" and "Neo 1973" from "Navigation" box (also add FAQ and applications, and repurpose applications)

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Sep 19 22:55:51 CEST 2008

Minh Ha Duong wrote:

>> 1. Remove "Neo 1973" and "hardware"

Looks like we all agree on this. There was a suggestion to add "Phones",
but, as someone pointed out, that is not needed on every page so
probably does not belong in the navigation box. I agree, so the
suggestion is to Remove "Neo 1973" and "hardware" and NOT replace them
we anything for now.

>> 2. Add a link to the FAQ

Looks like we agree on this as well, although Minh says "Otherwise it
can go under "For Users".

I disagree - the FAQ is for everyone, and having it in the navigation
box is like a reference book sitting by your side as you browse the
wiki. As readers read the wiki, any question that pops into their heads
should be followed by a visit to the FAQ before asking elsewhere.

>> 3. Add a link to "Applications"
>
> +1. It will look good right next to "Distributions".

We all seem to agree on this too.

A couple of you pointed out that Applications really is a category. I
agree, but the perspective I'm trying to satisfy here is a new or
prospective user who comes to the site and wants to know what
applications are available. A quick list of something like a paragraph
on each application and a link to further info would be what everyone
would expect.

I'd be happy to call this page "Applications Summary" but I would still
want the button in the navigation box to be labeled "Applications", and
it would link to the "Applications Summary" and not to the application
category.

Agreed?

Brenda, can you please make the following changes:

1. Remove "Neo 1973" and "hardware"
2. Add a link to the FAQ
3. Add a link to "Applications" which for now should link to the
"Applications" wiki page.