size of the Applications page

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Tue Sep 23 00:10:30 CEST 2008

Hi,

Earlier we had a discussion, that max 8 apps should be added to
[[Applications]], then we agreed to exceed that.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Applications

Well, I think we will have problems with size. It will be difficult to
overview. I have no ideas yet, bringing up for discussion.

For example this one looks cool:

http://www.symbianos.org/projects_editor

And this: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Applications_directory

would require some more info I think. Maybe category headings and one
line description at least. I have no clue what is "Mokostat" for example
or would it be useful for me to click that link. Or Wicd, or Tychi...

The current [[Applications]] HTML is too complex, I think my old format
with a simple left aligned image was easier to maintain. (However it
required a <div style="clear: left"></div> tag! :-( ) Current one
requires a huge HTML header for each entry. Compare with HTML of Browser
(link below).

The info about programs needs to be "standardized".

Not all programs will have their own page in the Wiki, but many of those
still deserve an entry on one of the application lists. E.g. I've just
added gpe-filemanager to have some useful result when searching for
"filemanager" in search!

I've updated

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Browser

page a bit (I think it should be called "Browsers"). Added screenshots
and tried to work out a standard format. Not much luck so far. The
creation of this page by "Kbjorgensen" brings up the idea to split
[[Applications]] page (now or later) and create more overview pages of
categories of applications.

Or should I add the 2 other browsers to [[Applications]]? That has only 1!

I think we should provide the fact, if the package is available in the
standard repository. Just writing

"Distributions: Om 2008.8"

will not explain whether the user just has to go to installer or has to
download an IPK from external source.

We should also list the package name. Browser page is the first to do
that now. Why? For easy "opkg install package-name", of course.

Providing download link on list pages is not a good idea if the program
has its own wiki page.

I am not satisfied with current results, any better ideas?

Make applications a more brief page (something between itself and
Application_directroy? (by another merge)) and make category-based list
pages with the screenshots instead?

If the brief list is based on the same category set as the
sub-application-list-pages, then the brief list can easily link to the
more detailed lists. And well, maybe "Browser" should be "Internet
Applications", probably all those would fit on one page for now and then
we could use the Category names / category structure.

Just ideas...

Regards,