symlinks to releases

Minh Ha Duong haduong at centre-cired.fr
Thu Sep 25 08:47:36 CEST 2008

I must say I was also confused and downloaded the .tar.gz. for nothing.

Which one is the source ? If the .tar.gz is the source, then could we suggest
to get rid of the .jffs2 file ? It means that  dfu-util  should generate
the .jffs2 on demand from the .tar.gz.

If the .jffs2 is the source, then what is the use of the .tar.gz ?

I could be so much more useable without symlinks and duplicated images !
-
Le mercredi 24 septembre 2008, Ferenc Veres a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> What are the Tar.gz files? Is it easy to create the tar.gz from jffs2?
> (I guess it's a mount and cp -rp?, but question is whether jffs2 is
> default supported by the operating systems of who needs the .Tar.Gz.)
> Who uses the tar.gz, for what? Do we need them? :-)
>
> I just met 2 confused users on the IRC not understanding what to
> download from that directory. (Of course we should revise [[Download]]
> too.)
>
> Remember, there are only 9 files. (33% of what are symlinks to other.)
>
> Quotes:
>
> "I'm a little bit confused. Can somebody tells me what files I need fro
> the list on http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.9/ to update
> my freerunner. I plan to use OpenMoko flasher for macosx. Should I load
> all the available files in this dir? (bin, tar.gz and jffs2 files)
> FunnyI just typed the same question."
>
> And the question he refers to:
>
> "n00b question: I just downloaded the .tar.gz of the rootfs and splash
> for 2008.9. Does dfu-util use the .tar.gz or do I need to extract it or
> something? :-X I extracted the rootfs only to find a Linux directory
> tree, which doesn't seem right. :P"
>
> Ferenc
>
> Ferenc Veres írta, 2008-09-22 21:56 keltezéssel:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for explaining.
> >
> > Julian Chu írta, 2008-09-22 06:13 keltezéssel:
> >>    An Engineer can see the name and to know "If I checkout out the date
> >>    of OE tree, I can start building the same image."
> >
> > So far I never succeeded to build Om OE, but is that really true, that
> > the DATE is enough, with no time? Does it commit changes only once a
> > day? (I don't know, so I am just asking.)
> >
> > Anyway, I understand the PM on nicer links. But then everybody who links
> > like that:
> >
> > http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.9/Om2008.9.rootfs.jffs2
> >
> > will also link to kernel and splash? So 3 long links instead one shorter
> > where users can download the 3 files? I am curious where exactly this
> > "nicer link" is used? PM per PR-wise?
> >
> > Anyway, 2008.9 is not linked from
> >
> > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Download
> >
> > at all. Is that good? Is it an "unimportant" release? (I installed it
> > the first day it came out.) (And since the note about "opkg upgrade" was
> > missing, what Minh added today, to 2008.9 page, I did a Re-Flash,
> > because I wasn't sure how near I can get to that result with just an
> > opkg. (Probalby this was a FAQ on community@ those days, sorry, I am not
> > subscribed yet. :-) )
> >
> > Ferenc

Minh HA DUONG, Chargé de Recherche, CNRS
CIRED, Centre International de Recherches sur l'Environnement et le
Développement
http://minh.haduong.com