Application template

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Fri Sep 26 21:38:26 CEST 2008

Hi,

Minh Ha Duong írta, 2008-09-26 10:02 keltezéssel:
>  Here is our organization then:

Good job! It took a while to understand this solution, but that's
because I didn't know the {{:page name here}} tag, and the
<includeonly>. Do you think this method is right? No side-effects of
that <includeonly> tag?

> - Each application has its page

I think some applications will not have it's own page. That fact does
not make the program less important; just nobody wanted to write
anything about it so far. I am not sure it's worth to create a box-only
page for them.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/index.php?title=Applications_directory&oldid=55387#Audio

Two Audio players don't have a page yet, but it is still good to know
that they are available, on which distro they are and what package needs
to be installed.

I planned to include them on the List of... pages directly, using the
ApplicationBox template.

Should we create the brief <includeonly> page for all of those?

As I can see you created the box-only pages for two browsers:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Midori
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko-browser2

Options.
a.) create the box-only pages for everything
b.) add ApplicationBox template to the List of blabla page until that
program also needs a real page

> - The page has an ApplicationBox template between <onlyinclude> tags
> - The "List of X applications" just lists the application pages

I hope users will understand and catch up doing so. :-) It is a good
solution. But I think we should do b.) from the above.

(It will exclude those programs from category's article list too, but
well, if we don't have anything to write about a program, then there is
no article, people will hopefully understand that.)

(That is less work. And other contributors can easily add an
application, without extra task of creating, understanding, linking the
<noinclude> box-only articles.)

> - "Category:X" includes the content of "List of X Applications"
>
> See "List of Internet Applications"  and "Category:Internet Applications"

I think this is not necessary. Category itself already lists the items,
and the manually maintained list may not contain everything, so we
should not let the visitors play a puzzle, whether there is something on
the short automatic article list, which is NOT on the upper manually
maintained list.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/index.php?title=Category:Internet_Applications&oldid=55458

You've removed "List of Internet Applications" page from the Internet
Applications category, but I think it should be there (instead the large
list), with this tag:

[[Category:Internet Applications| ]]

where "| " moves it to the top of the article list on the automatic
article list. So readers will easily find the "intro".

What do you think?