Application template

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Mon Sep 29 20:35:03 CEST 2008

Hi,

Minh Ha Duong írta, 2008-09-27 09:24 keltezéssel:
>> could be an important factor for users. E.g. this Pidgin thing is on
>> Angstrom repo, I spent like a hour hunting depending packages!
>>
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Instant_Messaging
>>
>> That is so far from a simple click in the installer. What do you recommend?
>
> I agree we need improvement.
> Maybe the "package" field should contain a full URL and be renamed "Download".

Well, to be honest, I really hope that most programs will not need
"Download" URL at all. I am a happy Linux user and I almost never
install anything which is not directly available in the package sources.

Openmoko should encourage all people who makes IPK to publish it on
Community Repository.

If the maintainer does not, I hope Openmoko Inc can do the work needed
for keeping programs available.

I don't want download URLs, especially not free software, which are
freely redistributable.

Am I asking for too much? :-)

I am guessing here, but I think OE BB can fetch from
projects.openmoko.org download sections too, so the largest extra work a
maintainer must absolutely do is to publish the program on a system like
that (and not on a random personal homepage URL). It's not a big request
for having the program automatically available in the repos. (And of
course any known project publishing system can do the work, not only the
openmoko one.)