main wiki page links update

Marko Knöbl openmoko.marko at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 15:13:35 CET 2009

2009/12/11, Patryk Benderz <Patryk.Benderz at esp.pl>:
> Hi all,
> I am looking for a person who is able to update "Community" box on main
> wiki page (Marko, are you the one?). Particularly it is about linking
> "news" link to latest Community Update. I see that it is already done,
> but i would like to inform someone when we are ready to release CU. This
> will relieve you guys from monitoring if latest CU is out.

Yes, I think I'm the only active admin. I have to say that I'm unhappy
with the situation of the cummunity updates at the moment, because
this means extra work for me and it is not a reliable system because
I'm the only person who can do the updates.
This system already showed its weakness when Brenda was the wiki admin
- once the news weren't updated for three month. Therefore I already
proposed to entirely remove the link to the news from the sidebar.
This was done, but it was added in again some days aftwerwards without
any comments. Brenda kept updating the news item for some time, but
later I had to take over this role. So currently I regularly have to
update a system I don't even like.

But as you have raised the issue I'm using this opportunity to discuss
and improve this system.

First of all I think it would help me very much if I had someone to
remind me regularly to do the release, so thanks for your offer.
However this would still result in some problems because there are
days when I can't access the internet and so I can't release the CU in
time. Therefore I think it would be a good idea if some of the team
writing the community updates would have admin privileges as well. You
can contact Roh (roh at openmoko.com) if you would like to have admin
privileges.
Furthermore I think it could be a good idea to just link the sidebar
to a generic newspage where all other news are linked (similar to the
current news archive) instead of linking to one specific page.

Personally I'd prefer the third option. What do you think?