new process for deleting pages

Marko Knöbl openmoko.marko at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 17:29:05 CET 2010

2010/2/1, Marko Knöbl <openmoko.marko at gmail.com>:
> This is a proposal for a new method for deleting pages. I think that
> the current process for deleting pages is a bad method and should be
> improved.
>
> Currently the deletion of a page can be requested at the Wiki Issues
> page[1] by listing it in the table and providing a reason there.
> Afterwards all users can vote by entering their username into a
> column.
> Furthermore there is the option of speedy deletion which is mostly
> used for spam. This can be done by adding the "Delete" template to the
> page so an admin can delete it.
>
> I think the process of "unspeedy deletion" (the first one) is not
> ideal because of two reasons:
>
> 1) People will only notice that the page is proposed for deletion if
> they check the Wiki Issues page regularly. There has been very little
> activity on this page in the last months and I have already deleted
> several pages where I was the only one who voted.
>
> 2) Discussing the proposal for deletion is hardly possible
>
> Therefore I'm proposing these changes to the process of deletion:
>
> 1) All pages which are proposed for deletion will be marked with a
> spectial template (similar to the one marking candidates for speedy
> delition [2]). This will make more people aware of the fact that the a
> page is proposed for deletion.
>
> 2) The section "pages proposed for deletion" should have separate
> subsections where people can discuss about each page that is proposed
> for deletion.
>
> As usual, any comments are welcome!
>
> marko
>
> [1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wiki_Issues
> [2] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Template:Delete

I have just changed the policy in the Wiki Editing Guidelines. I did
this because there were several pages I have wanted to delete for some
time now and the general opinion here seems to be that the old way of
deleting pages was not satisfying. This does not mean that the
guideline is final, please keep discussing to refine it!