libmokojournal gsm voicecall properties

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Tue Apr 17 14:16:05 CEST 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 01:07:30PM +0200, Dodji Seketeli wrote:
> > where 'location' is an abstract dataset which can be many different
> > things, such as any set of one or more elements from the following:
> > * gps coordinates
>
> What will be the type of a gps coordinate ? will it be a pair or floats
> representing (longiture, latitude) ?

three floats, the altitude is also there.

> > * GSM location (operator code / location code / cell-id)
>
> Could you give me the type of this as well ? Will it be a character
> string for instance ?

Two 16bit unsigned integers called LAC (Location Area code) and CI (Cell
ID)

> > * wifi AP MAC address
>
> Okay I guess this fits into a 16 bits integer.

no way. it's just like an ethernet address, 48bits.

> > * bluetooth AP MAC address
>
> Same assumption as above.

48bits.

> > generic call specific properties
> > * type (data/voice/fax/alternating)
>
> I guess this is what we have today in the MokoJournalEntry::type member.

It's a question of how hierarchical or flat we want to have it.

> Though, what is a data call exactly ? is what i call either SMS, MMS, or
> EMAIL ?

a data call is a modem connection.  not related to SMS MMS or anything
on a higher level.   Just like connecting a good old modem to a computer
and dialling into a BBS.

> What is "alternating" ?

this is a feature of GSM where a call can e.g. start as a voice call,
and then switch into e.g. DATA or FAX mode (and back) without
establishing separate calls.   I have never seen those features being
used, so gsmd will not really implement them.  They are quite
complicated special cases.  But basically, for libmokojournal, we should
treat them as one type: 'alternating'

> > * line (some gsm modems have multiple lines)
> Will this be an integer ID of the line ?

yes.  16bit ae fine.

> > * direction (in/out/)
>
> Okay this one is obvious. Though I would put it in the "general"
> properties carried by all journal entries.

makes sense.  Please note that there are three cases:

* mobile originated (MO) == outgoing
* mobile terminated (MT) == incoming
* network initiated  (something where the network can ask the phone to call back)

> > * addresses (i.e. phone numbers)

please note all addresses in GSM are 32byte max length strings.