Using X properties for the openmoko-footer

Rob Bradford rob at o-hand.com
Mon Apr 23 13:46:39 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 13:28 +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Rob Bradford wrote:
>
> > I've posted an explanation and reference code to Bugzilla #43.
>
> > Here is a short recap, however i'd prefer it if the conversation
> > remained on that bug in order to keep it all together.
>
> > Since the purpose of the footer (as far as I can make out from the wiki)
> > is to only show information from the client with the topmost window I
> > would suggest tracking the X _NET_WINDOW_ACTIVE property and then using
> > a moko specific property to provide this information rather than using
> > dbus to update the footer.
>
> > I think that this approach should give better performance with lower
> > latency, it should also require fewer context switches which are painful
> > on ARM. Another benefit of this approach is that all applications will
> > not need to link with dbus and the overhead that that brings.
>
> Well, we might have to link all or at least a lot of applications with dbus
> sooner or later anyway (due to new services in mokocore), but I agree with
> your performance argument.
>
> I'll have a look at your patch in bugzilla now and comment afterwards.

Just to make it clear, the code in in Bugzilla is just some reference
code that I can use as a guide. I wrote it from the point of view of
trying to work out if it was possible (and for educational
enlightenment). If I get the go ahead from you on the principle then I
will refine it and add it into the actual code (and add support for the
progress bar value.) I'll then post the patch for review.

Cheers,

Rob