Dialer Issues

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Mon May 28 07:48:56 CEST 2007

michael at michaelshiloh.com wrote:
>  	http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Gsmd#Usage_of_shell_mode

There's also the possibility to talk to the modem directly:

/etc/init.d/gsmd stop
echo 1 >/sys/bus/platform/devices/gta01-pm-gsm.0/power_on
cu -E @ -l /dev/ttySAC0

Now you can enter AT commands. E.g.,

ATE1
AT+CFUN=1
AT+CPIN="1234"
AT+COPS
ATD123456789;

Notes:
- it's "normal" for CFUN=1 to produce an error
- COPS often hangs, but returns OK when a character is sent
- the semicolon at the end of ATD... is needed to make a voice call

> results, but I'm reluctant to following the thread that powering up the
> handset with no SIM card risks short circuits between the SIM pins and the
> metal card frame.)

Hmm, thinking of it, checking what actually happens when the SIM card
gets shorted is probably still on the to do list of our hardware team.
Phase 0 phones (GTA01Bv3) can be killed by shorting the microSD slot
(this blows an inductor). Phase 1 and beyond (GTA01Bv4) should be
immune to this (there is a current limiter and we also upgraded the
inductor).

- Werner