Phone functionality in GUI applications

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Tue Oct 16 18:30:31 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 17:31 +0200, pHilipp Zabel wrote:
> On 10/16/07, Nuutti Kotivuori <naked at iki.fi> wrote:
> > Thomas Wood wrote:
> > > On Friday, Mickey mentioned to me that libmokogsmd would probably not be
> > > used in the final software stack. Instead, he would prefer a d-bus based
> > > interface to GSMD. Yesterday, Rob, Chris and I sat down around a
> > > whiteboard and came up with some thoughts on how the phone functionality
> > > in GUI applications might be managed.
> >
> > I wholeheartedly applaud this decision. I was about to write a long
> > mail with just about the same idea - good thing I don't have to :-)
> >
> > > PhoneKit
>
> *Kit naming seems to be popular nowadays :)

Well, the other contenders were PhoneD and PhoneManager. We decided
PhoneKit probably fitted best. Plus what you mentioned.

> I wonder how feasible it would be to specify this dbus API so that it
> could be used as a Connection Manager (Voice Channel type) for the
> Telepathy framework.

Sounds like a good idea. Do you know what is necessary to do this?

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/