Phone functionality in GUI applications

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Tue Oct 16 19:01:18 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 00:43 +0800, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
[...]

> I don't know d-bus (on my to-do list), just curious, if we would
> first have certain calls statically linked in a certain process, then
> in a later build move those same calls to another process, would we
> break backwards compatibility for applications (let's say without
> recompiling those apps)?
> In other words, are the names of processes or such encoded in d-bus
> or is it flexible enough to survive this kind of code move?

D-bus at it's most basic is an IPC mechanism. Think CORBA, but without
the bloat. The API that a d-bus interface exposes is completely
independent of source language and binaries.

> We should not make it overly hard to later have OpenMoko-based phones
> with toolkits other than GTK+.

Having PhoneKit toolkit agnostic and allowing plugins to implement the
GUI sounds like an excellent idea. There's no particular reason we
didn't suggest this in the first place, except that we where attacking
the problem from the current application angle.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/