Phone functionality in GUI applications

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Wed Oct 17 11:46:14 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 01:48 +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Thomas Seiler wrote:
> [...]
>
> Thanks Thomas [to both of you ;)], that's pretty close to my
> vision of how the OpenMoko system services architecture should look
> like (at least considering the phone services, I want to do similar
> with Device I/O services and PIM services).

Ok. Are your ideas documented anywhere?

> This is extensible (new services keep appearing all the time),
> pluggable (we can switch underneath implementations and) and generic
> (we
> can switch applications, deploy this in models without screens, or in
> products using $FancyToolKitOfTheYear... :D).

So your idea is basically an "OpenMoko Abstraction Layer" to allow the
service and user implementations to be switchable?

What are your time scales for this? Do you expect it to be shipping when
GTA02 goes on sale? If PIM services are part of it, then will it not
require a major rewriting of the existing core applications?

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/