Phone functionality in GUI applications

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Wed Oct 17 12:05:40 CEST 2007

Thomas Wood wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 01:48 +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
>> Thomas Seiler wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> Thanks Thomas [to both of you ;)], that's pretty close to my
>> vision of how the OpenMoko system services architecture should look
>> like (at least considering the phone services, I want to do similar
>> with Device I/O services and PIM services).

> Ok. Are your ideas documented anywhere?

Only on paper. I didn't find a couple of undistracted days to put any
of that in the wiki as a discussion base. I'm pretty sure I can do that
while I'm in .tw next week.

>> This is extensible (new services keep appearing all the time),
>> pluggable (we can switch underneath implementations and) and generic
>> (we
>> can switch applications, deploy this in models without screens, or in
>> products using $FancyToolKitOfTheYear... :D).

> So your idea is basically an "OpenMoko Abstraction Layer" to allow the
> service and user implementations to be switchable?

In principle, yes. Making dbus interfaces the line. Initially, this
what was I wanted to do with libmoko*, however you have convinced me
that doing this in the library/framework may not be the best way to do
it.

> What are your time scales for this?

Within the next 12 months.

> Do you expect it to be shipping when GTA02 goes on sale?

No.

> If PIM services are part of it, then will it not
> require a major rewriting of the existing core applications?

Not as long as they work fine.

I added PIM services to this list of things because I want to rethink
whether eds is really high level enough to allow arbitrary
applications querying and attaching personal data in a simple way.
It needs more experimentation, but then again, the phone and device
I/O services should be priorized now.

- Michael Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org>                   http://openmoko.org/