GSM modem documentation

Rodolphe Ortalo rodolphe.ortalo at free.fr
Sun Jul 15 14:19:51 CEST 2007

Le dimanche 15 juillet 2007 à 17:52 +0800, Harald Welte a écrit :
[...]
> 3) Yes, there is _NO_ documentation on the calypso hardware on the Ti
>    webpages.  In fact, in the GSM world it is common that only
>    hand-picked selected customers even know what kind of products the
>    semiconductor vendors have.  Yes, even the product catalog is
>    becoming proprietary and under NDA

Wow. You mean that's even worse than for graphics chipsets? Is it due to
the market size (and big $$) involved or to some other reason (such as
the original trend of military-grade control on the RF spectrum)?

Anyway, I understand you did your best to select the chipset to maximize
its usability for open source devs. I also hope the guys at
opencores.org are aware of this unfortunate situation in case they want
to develop some free hw core... ;-)

[...]

Can you tell us what the situation could be with respect to the WiFi
chipset of the next hardware revision? Have you been able to select one
with sufficiently available documentation?
(Another way to target point 3) is to push forward for WiFi-based free
phones...)

Rodolphe