gsmd/libgsm architecture

M. Dietrich mdt at emdete.de
Tue Jul 24 10:51:53 CEST 2007

hi,

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 01:05:36PM -0400, Wally Ritchie wrote:
> On 7/20/07, Alan Jones <junk at alan2.com> wrote:
> > propose an architecture not so dissimilar to what you are
> > suggesting: gsmd would have three primary interfaces: the
> > 07.07/07.10 link to the GSM chipset (somewhat of a "client"
> > model), the transport independent 07.07 (and possibly 07.10) links
> > coming in from BT/USB/whatever (somewhat of a "server" model), and
> > finally a DBUS link from resident applications (or possibly
> > external apps over IP).

> > As a final note on this interface, I think that implementing 07.10
> > for external TE is of limited utility, but should not be
> > precluded. I know there is at least one user-land implementation
> > (albeit TE-side focused) out there.

i agree that a d-bus interface to gsm functionality should be
sufficient.

but i would recomend to seperate 07.07 and 07.10 daemons. i also found
one gsm07.10 implementation on the net and a derivate of that at
berlios. both work with pseudo ttys and dont care about 07.07. i
ported that one to a linux-phone with the benefit that this daemon
takes care of the power-up (and resetting in case of malfunction) of
the modem chip.

the gsm07.07 is complete seperated and a pppd can use one of the pty
for gprs.

best regards,
	michael

btw: does the ti chip talks the advanced mode of 07.10?