About GSM/Wifi handover

Sébastien Lorquet squalyl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 12:14:11 CEST 2007

Hello again,

I'm continuing investigations about wifi handover.
It's called UMA and is documented in 3GPP TS 44.318 and 3GPP TS 43.318

To say it fast, the goal is to route mobile calls using an IP/IPSec link to
a gateway server.

I currently have 2 blocking problems.

The first is the ability to get authentication credentials from the SIM. The
EAP/SIM protocol documented in previous specs explicitely asks access to the
SIM card algorithms A3/A8, but the only available interface to neo's modem
is the AT line.
I had a discussion minutes ago on IRC with XorA; according to him, it's
possible if we can run ISO7816 commands with the AT interface to drive the
card itself.
Do you know any possibility to do this on neo's modem? Are the specs
available or not?

Secondly if we suppose that step is solved, it will be necessary to shut
down the modem without sending a DETACH message! Will it be possible with AT
or not?

Please consider this as a feasability study only, I'm currently
investigating ways to get UMA on an open platform. Don't speak too much
about carriers implication in the subject now, this is not yet an issue
since I want to know if it's technically possible before going further.

Sincerely yours, (and sorry for my bad english, not so easy to describe
technical things without translating french thoughts ;) )

Sébastien LORQUET.