GSM modem doesn't power off when Neo does

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Mon Feb 11 07:17:02 CET 2008

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Mike (mwester) wrote:
>
>> Specifically, the way it works right now, no matter how you shut down
>> the GTA01, the GSM modem is left powered up and running
>>

> Hmm, I wonder if this is true. If you send the modem an AT at POFF,
> doesn't it power down completely, and stay down ? (Until you prod
> it with /sys/devices/platform/neo1973-pm-gsm.0/power_on)

Yes, if you send the modem AT at POFF, it powers down (I have code that
implements this, and it works wonderfully -- for me, at least).  The
problem is that there is nothing that *actually issues* that command to
the modem in the OM distro at present.  I believe that there is code in
gsmd that can issue this command, so it should be theoretically feasible
for gsmd to power off the modem when it performs an orderly exit (does
gsmd catch any signals?), but last time I checked (which was some time
ago, admittedly), not even this token effort to power down the modem was
implemented.  :(
> - Werner

Mike (mwester)