[Phone Server dbus API]: sync vs. async

Rodolphe Ortalo rodolphe.ortalo at free.fr
Thu Jan 31 21:30:06 CET 2008

Le jeudi 31 janvier 2008 à 21:10 +0100, Marcel Holtmann a écrit :
[...]
> > So, personnally, I'd favour an asynchronous API, with companion
> > libraries to simplify usage if common tasks are really cumbersome and
> > repetitive (ie: error prone) to write.
>
> Async, yes. Wrapper library, no. Actually the wrapper library is in most
> cases the cause for errors.

_Bad_ wrapper library are cause of errors, like bad libraries (or bad
OSes... BTW, I am definitely unable to go _back_ to Windows devel.: I've
never been there personnally).

Of course, if the wrapper library does not really simplify things, it is
not needed. But when asynchronous execution is involved, some careful
design/abstraction may help to prevent hard to debug bugs... DBus event
filtering or signal registration syntax does not seem so straightforward
to me but I did not look at all binding layers, only raw libdbus or Glib
bindings.

Rodolphe