Questions regarding the wakeup interrupt

Holger Freyther zecke at openmoko.org
Sat Mar 29 23:57:14 CET 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008 13:01:20 Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2008 03:48:34 Holger Freyther wrote:

> Regarding responsibilities, the suspend cycle should be somewhat like:
>
> pimd: "please set wakeup time for next appointment"

or atd. But we agree that there needs to be someone to control the RTC
resource. It depends how broad PIM is, alarm clock could be PIM, scheduling
of recordings could be done with a calendar/event API as well. On second
thought I agree, the name PIM confused me. :)

Start this application and use this dbus path to tell me (the application
scheduling an alarm is not a dbus service though *eeek*). So starting of
applications and waiting for them to turn up needs to be handled as well.

> eventd: "Ok, this is far away and there's no one playing music or watching
> a film right now, I guess we can shutdown now"

Eek. This sounds like GNOME. So let me tell you one of the most annoying
differences between OSX and GNOME.

I listen to music and 'press' the suspend button/close the lid:
	OSX: Does sleep
	GNOME: Says rhythmbox refuses the suspend because music is played.

Lesson learned: If I actively do something software should decide twice if it
wants to over rule me. For an engineers this means that the origin of an
event is important. Shutting off the display while watching movie == bad,
listening to musc and users asks to suspend, pasue the music go to sleep :)

> deviced: "Righto, let me configure the modem and the rest of the
> peripherals to a safe state... done. Suspending"

The cool thing about SM on X11 or apm on Linux is. An application can wait for
these events and say. Hey let me get this done quickly before doing this
action (like suspending, or closing a session).
I have two things to say, besides trusting you to do the right thing. I want a
symmetric API. I want to get notifications for suspend and resume. And
specially for suspend as an application/d.. developer I want to be certain
that I can do my action before going to suspend.

z.