[gta02-core] Status & next milestone for GTA02-core?

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Sun Aug 2 22:51:17 CEST 2009

Álvaro Lopes wrote:
> Dave Ball wrote:
>> shouldn't count me as an official spokesman for the project
>
> Aren't we all ? :P

Indeed - All of us and none of us!  :-)

> We also need to first gather some technical requirements for PCB
> manufacture (we are not yet sure who it will be).

Yup - Werner's list at
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/gta02-core/2009-July/000275.html
looks like a good start, though as you pointed out more details still
need agreeing with whoever ends up producing the things!

> USP (University of São Paulo, Brasil) got in touch with us and might
> be our partner in PCB assembly, at least for prototypes and testing.
> (It's not official yet, Werner is "in charge" of speaking with them
> and matching goals) :P

I'll let Werner speak up on that when / if there's progress, but last I
heard sounded encouraging.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed it works out
- it certainly sounds like we and USP have similar goals  :-)

> Also we are stuck ATM with some legal issues (TI Calypso) and trying
> to reach a fitting solution. Might take a while.

Entertainingly, it seems the nabble permalinks I used in my last mail
didn't work - here they are again.  [1] is the calypso (and alternative)
discussion on the mailing list, [2] the USP discussion, and [5] the
disclosure requirements / ODH (open design hardware) discussion.

[1] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/gta02-core/2009-July/000239.html
[2] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2009-July/051057.html
[5] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/gta02-core/2009-July/000238.html

Sorry about that folks!

For anyone that's interested, the TI legal issue is that the calypso
documentation and OM's designs are under NDA, so iirc the only way for
us to use that device would be if TI relaxed the terms of the NDA. A
potential alternative to the calypso (option gtm501) has been
identified, though we don't yet know for sure that we can use it.

Cheers,
Dave