[gta02-core] OT: N900

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Wed Aug 26 23:20:15 CEST 2009

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Christopher Friedt wrote:
>
>> The 3D is definitely binary, but binary is better than nothing.
>>

> Binary is evil, particularly when it reaches into the kernel. For
> a kernel developer, the presence of binary kernel modules basically
> means that you can't usefully work on that system.

Ack. Binary is evil - I think in this case I'd rather leave the
functionality unused than depend on a binary module.  However, there are
a number of Linux based projects using omap devices, and it's not
impossible that someone will go to the effort of making a compatible GPL
3D driver at some point in the future.

I think i saw that the documentation is open for the DSP stuff in the
omap, which might help accelerate some tasks - such as video/audio decoding.

>> I guess since it's not one of the 'next-gen' SoC's with integrated
>> baseband, that there would be the baseband processor, RF modem,  and
>> whatever other components they need.
>>

> Hmm, they were referring to the OMAP per se, comparing it to some
> chips from the Samsung 24xx family. But agreed, without further
> details, this is all hearsay.

I've been trying to understand what this could be, and if you accept
using TI's TPS65950 I can't see a significant difference to the Samsung
parts.  The TPS65950 does a lot (pmu, otg, audio codecs) so if you
needed to use independent parts instead that might get messy.
Definitely warrants further investigation in the future though -
personally I really like the idea of an omap gta-next...

Dave