[gta02-core] gta02-core prototypes: distribution and finances

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Aug 28 20:53:31 CEST 2009

Dave Ball wrote:
> Not particularly liking the idea of paying for a glorious pile of
> junk, but I think this process is about as fair as possible.

There's always the chance that we got most things right :) Since
this is an all-new process, I think it's impossible to predict our
real chance of success, and it's even harder to say how much can
be salvaged later by rework. So I'd say we should prepare for the
worst but hope for the best.

> I'm not confident we'll get orders for 20 boards though.

I have no idea, really. I'll want two for myself. So that's only
18 left :)

> Does there
> come a point where the cost of producing & SMTing extra boards is
> worthwhile to reduce the risk of dead boards?

Ah yes, I think we should leave at least two boards unallocated,
because that's the least number we can expect to go horribly wrong.
With that I mean components 1 mm off-center, rotated by 90 degrees,
and such. We can toss them into the lottery as a freebie without
value :)

So, with those first two who'll take one for the team, we're down
to 16 left. Hey, they're going fast ! ;-)