[gta02-core] Board parameters update

Álvaro Lopes alvieboy at alvie.com
Mon Aug 31 18:04:04 CEST 2009

Rene Harder wrote:
> If I'm not completely off we should end up with a trace width around
> 8-15mil (50Ohms).

I think so, but will depend on insulator layers and how we chose the ground layers too. But yes.

> It's not about the handling, It's more related to the cost. Someone has
> to setup the assembly machine (change reels, setup placements etc.) and
> if you have a lot of different components you will increase these setup
> costs. However for a full production series that should not be a big
> issue because this will be a one time fee averaged over all boards but
> for a small prototype series this will probably be the main part of the
> costs.

Understood.

> Microvias are even worse then buried or blind vias those requires
> special equipment for the fab (laser drills) and a quite complicated
> process.
> So i would rather use blind or buried vias! Although microvias will make
> our live easier then we can embed them into the BGA pads.

That was the idea, yes, but we can live without that for the first prototypes.

> all holes are platted through and not tented or filled with anything.

I read something about filling them here [1]. Hence the question.

> I doubt that anyone can design a product without prototyping and
> honestly, I believe that this one will not be the last one for gta02-core.

It's just a prototype for now, we want to rule the world, so surely we'll improve the design quite a few times :)

Best,
Álvaro

[1] http://www.abraci.org.br/arquivos/ViainPadandPlanarizationTechnologyof24-07-2008.pdf