[gta02-core] Board parameters update

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Mon Aug 31 18:48:43 CEST 2009

Rene Harder wrote:
> The chemical deposition of organometallic compounds (OSP) is becoming
> more and more popular, and you'll find it in prototype spec quite often
> these days. However I have no idea about long time stability (have never
> used it myself)

All I know about OSP I learned on the Web ;-) How do unsoldered pads
perform (NC, test pads) ? Can you leave them "clean" or do you apply
solder paste as a protection ?

Also, with stability, I'm less concerned about whether the board will
still work in ten years, but how long we can store it between PCB and
SMT. If that time is very short, that may be a problem. There are
always surprises ...

> Indeed, that makes things more complicated However, there are companies
> who have boards with an overall thickness of 0.31" or 0.40" for 6
> layer[1] or 0.48" for 8 layer[2] in their standard specs.

This board is begging for six layers ;-)