[gta02-core] last missing symbols

Rene Harder rehar at saweb.de
Mon Jun 8 17:54:58 CEST 2009

Dave Ball wrote:
> Fantastic! Thanks Rene :-)
>
> Rene Harder wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So here are the last missing symbols for review.
>>

> I've increased the length of the pins on the atr0635 to 300mm, which
> makes the pin names easier to read, but otherwise committed these as is.

Yes I agree with 200mil pin length the circle of the inverted pins
overlays the pin number, that makes the pin number kind of hard to read.

> I've noticed a couple things with the atr0635 that could do with
> fixing though:
>
> - There's a duplicate pin (C4) - VCC2 should be E4.  Kicad has a 'test
> duplicate pins' function in the library editor (it's a magnifying
> glass with a tick on it) which is worth running after editing a device.

Cool, I didn't know that kicad has one.

> - where signals are inverted, we're using nNAME labels, where the
> lowercase 'n'  indicates the negation, and the uppercase NAME is the
> signal.  It would be clearer if all the 'n's were lowercase where used
> to signify an inverted signal, even if the datasheet lists uses all
> caps.  Where a pin does have more than one use, only use inverted pin
> symbol if all the uses are inverted.

Damn, How could i forget that, Werner mentioned that a couple of days
ago :-[ .

>> U7608: GPS Chipset
>> You have to watch out here, the pin names and functions change with the
>> firmware.
>>

> Heh - more fun multi-purpose pins :-)
>
> Where these have multiple uses, it would be good to list all the uses,
> as we have on the CPU.  This makes it easier if we decide to change
> our use of the device, and allows for re-use in a different circuit.
> Some of these pins have three or more possible uses (such as
> P17/GPSMODE5/SCK1, P20/TIMEPULSE/SCK2) and it would be good to list
> them all.

Well that's the question, as far as I understood the atr0635 comes with
the ublox firmware preinstalled. You would only need the other pin
functions if  you remove the ublox firmware and write your own. But if
you write your own firmware, you'll probably give the pins a different
function so you have to redo the symbol anyways.