[gta02-core] U490{1,2,3} diagrams

Rene Harder rehar at saweb.de
Thu Jun 11 20:35:44 CEST 2009

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> KiCad can associate different packages with the same symbol. In
> fact, it will let you associate any package with any symbol. You'll
> discover the missing pins much later, in DRC ;-)

I just played a little bit with the PCB  Layout editor and the way you
associate the footprints in kicad. Yes you really can link against any
footprint, for example a battery symbol to an atmel controller package,
and the DRC was not even complaining about the unconnected pins of the
footprint. Is that the way how it supposed to be?

> The name sn74x1g00_5 would indeed be unique. If using vendor names
> up to and including the "74", we would have a problem with 74x1g00_5,
> though, since parts like STMicroelectronics' 74V1G00 would conflict.
>
> We could of course earmark a name like nxp74x1g00_5 for NXP's part.
> They seem to be the only ones who swap A and B.
>
> I like to have visible pin numbers. This makes it easier to look up
> things, without having to guess or fire up KiCad.

Well, that's true but if there are no pin numbers we only need different
footprints for each vendor, like TI_SN74AUP1G00_DSBGA,
NXP_74AUP1G00_TSSOP5 etc.

> The more I think about it, the more I like the nxp74x1g00_5. That
> would mean no changes for the rest. What do you think ?

For now, I would go with this, maybe we'll find a better solution later.
It should be easy for us to change the name, if necessary.

Rene