[gta02-core] Use for hole left by GPS connector - shields

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sun Jun 28 01:22:48 CEST 2009

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
>    I used to work at a place which did shielding solutions based on a
> photo-chemical process. To make a shielding can, you cut a sheet[1] of an
> appropriate metal to the desired shape and then you bend it.

Thanks for the explanation ! That's all already quite complicated. I
was thinking more of just putting a sheet into a CNC mill, cutting it
to size, and bending manually, perhaps over a customized support. But
perhaps that's too optimistic.

>    So if we're considering a new shielding can, I'd say go for an existing
> design. For example, Digikey has a product family called "RF shields" in the
> category "RF and RFID". They don't appear to ship in bent form, but maybe
> shielding cans are available prebent from somewhere else.

You mean these ?

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Fotofab PDFs/Standard RF Shields SPECS.pdf

They claim that the shields can be bent manually. Unfortunately, the
GTA02 shape needs rather non-rectangular cans, and we would want them
to be removable. Also, those cans are all very tall.

The data sheet for the removable ones is even more vague and strongly
hints at custom designs:

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Fotofab PDFs/RF Removable Shields.pdf

So, that pretty much excludes new cans for gta02-core. But it may
lead to an interesting new sub-project: DIY can making :)