[gta02-core] New shields (Was: Use for hole left by GPS connector)

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Sep 1 03:30:30 CEST 2009

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
>    Lars Traberg was going on vacation when I called him and I forgot about
> it then.  But I'll be paying him a visit on Wednesday morning, so what are
> the questions I should ask?

Perhaps the most interesting information would be:

- in general, how much does it cost to make the sort of shields we
  have in GTA02 (maybe just show him the FreeRunner) in prototype
  quantities.

- in general, is this kind of shields a good choice or are there
  better ones ? It's intentional that most of the shields are
  removeable, and such shields are more expensive than non-removeable
  ones.

- if he'd have to DIY, how would he do it ? Assume the availability of
  a 3D CNC mill and shops that sell thin metals sheets, particularly
  brass.

>    I suppose the most pressing need is that of a new GSM shield because the
> Telit module is too tall for the existing one.

The GSM module already comes with a shield, so I don't think we need
anything else there.

> WLAN is moving to the main
> PCB and we want it in a separate shield, right?

Yup, that would be most likely candidate for a new shield. I wouldn't
put too much effort into this, though - the AR6001 is obsolete anyway,
so all this would really amount to is an exercise in shield-making.

Thus, I'm not sure we'll actually make any new shields for gta02-core.
But it will be good to know what our options are if we have to make
shields.

Thanks,