[gta02-core] Good news from Sao Paulo

Rene Harder rehar at saweb.de
Thu Sep 17 17:57:02 CEST 2009

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Good news ! Prof. Marcelo Knoerich Zuffo of the University of Sao
> Paulo (USP) has offered gta02-core the use of his SMT facility. As if
> this wasn't generous enough, all he asks for in return are a few of
> our prototypes for his team to play with.

Great news!
Many thanks to Prof. Zuffo of USP for his offer to utilize his SMT
facility and of course Jon "Maddog" for making all this possible.

> Regarding PCBs, there are no PCB houses that are good at making this
> kind of board in small quantities in Brazil, so the production team at
> USP recommended that we look for a PCB maker elsewhere. If anyone has
> a recommendation, please post it.

So far, I've had good experience with Advanced Circuits [1] . They are
fast, reliable and can almost do everything (just a matter of the price
;-) ), also there exists a nice online quoting tool with design file
check . However the capability of this online quoting tool is limited
and If you need specific spec you are better off to directly contact a
sales person. You can find a summery of their capabilities here [2].

[1] http://www.4pcb.com/
[2]
http://www.4pcb.com/media/Capabilities%20August%2009%20-%20PDF%20version.pdf

> As a reminder, our PCB design parameters are 6 layers, 1 mm board
> thickness, 5 mil track width and clearance, and ENIG coating. (USP had
> some nasty experiences with cheaper coatings, and we wouldn't want to
> lose half our boards to SMT problems.) 1 mm for six layers is a thin
> board, which may drive the price up. 5 mil is also more demanding than
> the 6 mil many mainstream PCB houses offer.

I think to get realistic and comparable quotes It would be good to
summarize "all" specs including board array size, panel frame width etc.
(requirements of SMT fab).

Rene