[gta02-core] Solder mask and other special pads

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Sep 18 10:47:30 CEST 2009

Rene Harder wrote:
> Thanks, it's working great!

Cool !

> I updated the LIS302DL and WM8753FL footprints to use the new solder
> mask layer, I also defined a constant in the footprint by which the
> solder mask is reduced on each side because kicad will still expand the
> solder mask when generating the Gerber files.

Hmm, there's one problem with this: fped's visualization output gets
quite confusing, because it suggests that some of the pad is covered
by the solder mask.

One way would be to generate the "real" solder mask by running a solder
mask generating algorithm that's similar to KiCad's, but that's not
trivial.

If we do this or something equivalent, the next problem would be with
the visual representation: if the solder mask hole is exactly like the
pad, then all the layers can only be seen in the Postscript, while the
solder mask would cover the pad in the GUI. One way to solve this would
be to draw the solder mask outline as a line instead of a just making
it a pad.

Tricky. This needs some thought.

By the way, did you notice that having multiple concentric pads with
the name GND creates an interesting visual effect in the Postscript ? :-)