[gta02-core] how many gta02-core devices ?

Álvaro Lopes alvieboy at alvie.com
Thu Apr 22 00:50:44 CEST 2010

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> It's been a while since the last time I asked how many people would be
> interested in a gta02-core device. For planning ahead on components,
> I'd like to take another poll.
>
> The last time, the assumption was that we'd attempt to make a device
> that has more or less the feature set of GTA02. Now, depending on the
> availability of certain components, it may be necessary to drop
> some subsystems. We don't know yet which, if any, but I'd like to
> know how any removals would change the demand.
>
> Major items that could have to be removed:

Although #gta02-core is meant to be a phone, I think we can also add GSM to this list. I am not planning to use it as a phone, but maybe add a 3G USB modem to
it - internet is more valuable than GSM calls these days.

Other idea of mine is to use a larger LCD - as long as it has same resolution I don't see any obstacle, do you ?

> The overall conditions would be similar to before: the per device cost
> would be about USD 500 (FOB origin, so add shipping costs and any
> customs fees and taxes).

Seems acceptable. At least for me.

Now, we might end with a lot of devices with manufacturing defects in specific areas, like GPS, GSM, so on. We could as easy name those parts we don't mind that
much being broken - would help deciding who's to get which device. For example, I'd like WLAN to be working, but it's not a must. And I don't care about GSM (I
care about GPS just because I'm involved with it, otherwise I would not), so others requiring GSM and WLAN would get the OK device, i'd get the other one.

Álvaro