[gta02-core] The Phoenux is coming: Openmoko Beagle

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Fri May 14 17:42:44 CEST 2010

Am 14.05.2010 um 14:19 schrieb Helge Hafting:

> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
>> We can soon provide a printed circuit board ("Openmoko Beagle") that
>> can carry a Freerunner display module (incl. touch screen) and is
>> connected to a Beagleboard. It fits into a (slightly cut) Freerunner
>> case (although you can do everything without destroying a Freerunner;
>> only the buttons are a little more difficult to use).
>>
> Nice.
>
> Combining the FR display with a faster processor is interesting.
>
> It'd be even better if it either fit in the FR case, or some

Unfortunately the Beagle Board is too large. We have evaluated if wen
can put an OMAP on a cheap board - but the OMAP needs the latest micro-
via technology.

> alternative case can be ordered instead. Expanding the FR case
> by making it thicker is also an option.

The general problem is making plastics. This is the most expensive
investment if you want high quality (as used to from the Freerunner).
But we will look into that and as soon as we have a solution...

> Is the touchscreen the only FR component that can be reused?

Well ,we also reuse the earpiece and speaker.

> The gps unit is rather good - could it be connected to
> the new board with only simple soldering?

Unfortunately no. The GPS system consists of ca. 50 components in
addition to the pure chip. But you will see that the board has an area
for a Wi2Wi GPS module (W2SG0004) with less external components - but
we have not yet tested that. So it may be totally inoperable.

Nikolaus