Welcome

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Mon Apr 13 04:06:58 CEST 2009

Great to see the useful discussion going on here.  I hope my
contribution is helpful too!

Steve Mosher wrote:
>   The next Phone:
>     1. GTA02 cost down
>     2. GTA02 Glamoectomy - G
>     3. GTA02 -G+E Glamoecyomy, new Edge +E
>     4. GTA02 -G+E+P  add 6410

Reviewing these kind of options is difficult in isolation.  But cost /
timescale / target market asside my personal instinct would be to keep
changes for the next phone super simple: a glamoectomy and some cost
savings - gta02.5 maybe.  Save the new ID for a later device, targeted
further in the future.  But whether a 02.5 is sane would depend when it
might enter MP.

Now the buzz / bass problems are understood (fixed in new designs?) The
Glamo seems to be the biggest weakness in gta02 - affecting UI
responsiveness, 'wow' and software development of funky new stuff.  We'd
need a changed interface for the wifi (iirc), but from my non-expert
position it seems reverting to the gta01 LCD interface should be low
risk.  A simple gta02.5 should have a highly predictable schedule, and
allow the new s/w stack to shine, with minimal software re-targeting
needed.  If we kept RF & case designs from gta02 does that make
certification easier?

gta03 / gta-future would then be (a little) further reaching, +p +e +cam
+ new ID +external SD card, and aimed at better defined 'consumers'.
With more lead time, this is the one I see the community getting more
involved in designing - identifying the target audience, appropriate
parts, roughing out schematics, exploring limitations, rinse and repeat
of paper designs until OM are happy that it's buildable.

Dave