Welcome

Steve Mosher steve at openmoko.com
Mon Apr 13 07:40:36 CEST 2009

Dave Ball wrote:
> Great to see the useful discussion going on here.  I hope my
> contribution is helpful too!
>

> Steve Mosher wrote:
>>   The next Phone:
>>     1. GTA02 cost down
>>     2. GTA02 Glamoectomy - G
>>     3. GTA02 -G+E Glamoecyomy, new Edge +E
>>     4. GTA02 -G+E+P  add 6410
>>
> Reviewing these kinds of options is difficult in isolation.  But cost /
> timescale / target market asside my instinct would be to keep changes
> for the next phone super simple: a glamoectomy and some cost savings -
> gta02.5 maybe.
  Ya speaking for Werner and myself we pushed a 2.5 approach. very simply
I think if the community wanted to do anything short term ( say layout
and design guys they could get a -G put together is short order ( ok
problems on the wifi interface front) probably best to work from an A8
base. Supply issues perhaps on the Calypso. payback  on investment
is the biggest issue, but It could be brought through EVT with little
investment.

Save the new ID for a later device, targeted further in
> the future.  But whether a 02.5 is sane would depend when it might enter
> MP.
  Yup. Now you get why we had such a hard time pulling the trigger on it.
  you have GTA02  shipping  an GTA02 -G that perform better and costs
less, which kills the 02 and an gta03 in flight which kills them both.
  and then you had conflicts over engineering resource.

> Now the buzz / bass problems are understood (fixed in new designs?)
  yes fixed

The
> Glamo seems to be the biggest weakness in gta02 - affecting UI
> responsiveness, 'wow' and software development of funky new stuff.

   We'd
> need a changed interface for the wifi (iirc), but from my non-expert
> position it seems reverting to the gta01 LCD interface should be low
> risk.  A simple gta02.5 should have a highly predictable schedule, and
> allow the new s/w stack to shine, with minimal software re-targeting
> needed.  If we kept RF & case designs from gta02 does that make
> certification easier?
  Not really, probably just lowers the risk. Certs run  in parallel and
havent been critical path as far As I can recall.

> gta03 / gta-future would then be (a little) further reaching, +p +e +cam
> + new ID +external SD card, and aimed at better defined 'consumers'.
> With more lead time, this is the one I see the community getting more
> involved in designing - identifying the target audience, appropriate
> parts, roughing out schematics, exploring limitations, rinse and repeat
> of the paper designs until OM are happy that it's buildable.

Interesting thought. Its probably a tall order to get the community up
to speed on the whole phone building business building process. I'd
start with a simple task.. GTA02 -G.. just to give people a taste of
what one is up against.