Welcome

Steve Mosher steve at openmoko.com
Tue Apr 14 05:16:05 CEST 2009

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Steve Mosher wrote:
>>  1. Target market selection ( who is the customer)
>>  2. MRD ( what are their needs)
>>  3. Engineering Spec. ( designs a-n that meet the MRD)
>>  4. Business plan review. (budgets and ROI)
>>  5. Operations review. ( can we produce it)
>>  6. Continue or return to step 1,2,3,4 depending on failure mode.
>>
>> ha I just turned it into software. GTA03 was stuck in an endless loop
>> Cnt-alt-del.
>
> Hehe ;-) There are some feedback loops there, though. Also, you
> sometimes can't close an issue before later, simply because the
> negotiations or some tricky engineering problem take more time
> than the schedule would like. It's all calculated risks ...
  Ya, I think rapid convergence in 1-5 is one aspect of operational
effiency that is underated. How quickly can a team CLOSE on a design
that is

    A) buildable
    B) supportable
    C) sellable
    D) profitable.

>>  7. archetecture and implementation spec
>>  8. theory of operations.
>>  9. Design.
>> 10. Layout.
>> 11. Prototype
>> 12. EVT
>> 13. DVT
>
> I wouldn't break it down like this - there are several prototypes in
> EVT and generally also in DVT, all of them at least with schematics,
> BOM, and layout changes.
  yes I know that werner. I'm just trying to characterize it at my high
level. you can get stuck on step 11 for weeks.. even have to resort to
CNT/ALT/DEL. But I would always start with a Nominal plan.. eg 2-3
protos, Same in EVT, and 2 in DVT, 2 in DVT.

> Hmm, Wikipedia for once lets us down on a useful definition for those
> TLAs. Here's something that's not so bad:
> http://www.percept.com/dvt-evt.php
>
> It's basically:
>
> - EVT: "Is it possible ?"
>   Make prototypes until at least one of them works in the lab.
>
> - DVT: "Can it be made into a product ?"
>   Make it work legally also outside the lab.
>
> - PVT: "Can we produce it ?"
>   Bring the production process to a factory.

  Ya.. In PVT you have some slop. Its basically a yeild/cost question.
  I've shipped product with a 50% yeild ( first batch) because

    1. I knew a second design was coming in 2-3 weeks
    2. Some of the  failures were suspected to be a false negative
    3. The bonepile could be reworked, or repeced. ( frequency limits)
    4. The chip guy who provided the reference design, agreed to
       eat some of the yeild loss.

( and no, I won't tell you who it was, but their name starts with Nv.. hehe)

>>  when starting down the path. Werner is rather bottoms ups, or rather
>>  he like to have all the details known before starting down a path.
>>  Is that about right werner?
>
> Yeah, I like to have both the "big picture" and to have it mapped out
> in sufficient detail that I can see where the unexpected problems are.
> In my mind, a project is composed of things that are hard to do (which
> take an indeterminate amount of time) and things that are easy to do
> (which take a negligible amount of time). So my approach is always to
> reduce the number of the hard or not completely understood  problems.
>
> Naturally, as you may expect from a sum of epsilons and potential
> infinites, my forecasts at how long something will actually take just
> suck :-)
>
>> This, coupled with my impatience, makes
>>  for spirited discussions between us, but our mutual rspect for each
>>  other keeps the discussion civil. Plus werner plays great tunes.
>
> Hehe, thanks :-) I must say that I also find it very enlightening to
> better understand the marketing angle of things. Even as engineers,
> there are a lot of implicit marketing assumptions we just make, and
> and we don't even realize that they may actually be questionable or
> even wrong.
I appreciate that. I readily admit to some classic bone head moves. For
people's edification I can detail them... I did a bit in the writing
about chasm theory. I would definitely do things differently.

>>  The next Phone:
>>    1. GTA02 cost down
>
> Hmm, that would be
>
> - move BT to the PCB (yield goes up)
     yes.
> - NOR removal (hard to source and eats space)
     yes
>   Need to find a plan B for unbrickability then. Some possibilities:
>   - do as we did in GTA01 and depend on the debug board
       Yes I love selling that.
>   - add a NAND trap-door circuit
       Explain please.
>   - integrate IDBG
       HA. ok I'll look at it again. I'm more amenable this time around
       since I have attach rates for debug and better cost data and Some
       anecdotal info on the failure rates of the flex cable. You don't
       give up. I like that.. sometimes. So A fresh look.
> - remove one of the acceleration meters (useless)
       yes. I puzzled over having two to begin with. The stated purpose
       was just plain math BS.

> anything else ?
>
>>    2. GTA02 Glamoectomy - G
>
> The moment of great liberation :-)
       be gone dreaded glamo

>>    3. GTA02 -G+E Glamoecyomy, new Edge +E
>
> I'd very much like to see the demise of the Calypso. It's been EOL
> for as long as I remember, and while the consequences of working
> with a hopelessly obsolete chipset were still surprisingly mild, they
> are adding up.

> We should also review WLAN. AR6001 is about as dead-ended as the
> Calypso, so the least we would have to do is to replace it with an
> AR6002. I don't know how bad the driver situation would be, though.
> Atheros are working on a "lean" firmware for the AR6002, but that
> won't be ready for some more months.
>
> Switching to Marvell would mean that we'd either have to find a
> different module than the USI we have right now (because we don't
> have a UART for BT), accept that we have a useless BT component on
> that module, or upgrade to a CPU with one more SDIO port.
   ha slippery slope