Welcome

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Thu Apr 16 22:44:18 CEST 2009

Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> I'm really puzzled why we (OM that is) don't just publish the schem as of
> 2008DEC (before crippling) and start our discussion from there

Sounds like a good idea.  I think we're covering a lot of old ground
again because we (interested parties outside OM) are just starting to
get up to speed with your last 12 months of development.

My initial thinking was that fixing the most obvious problem with gta02
(glamo) would give OM an improved device to sell, while not being a
significant engineering challenge.  From the things said since, it seems
that there are significant incremental benefits from replacing much of
gta02 - 6410, gsm, wifi, boot/sd and audio.  Basically, this seems to
put us at your gta03(II) before wifi/gps were kicked.  And it sounds
like a pretty sweet device - similar to a 1st-gen iPhone, but fully
open.  Is there any pricing / target market analysis for such a phone?

How much of the hw & sw engineering work for this dec2008 device is in
the bag?  Drivers, suspend/resume, charging, audio/bt routing etc.

If we're contemplating that significant a change from the electronics of
gta02 does it still make sense to try to cram that all into the
freerunner body - which was never the nicest ID anyway?  Given the
problems with the intended ID, what are the risks in trying to cram all
this into a new case?

Whatever ID, I'd still be inclined to loose the camera - it's not
functionality that existing gta02 users would miss, or that existing
software uses.  Even once it's working & has kernel drivers, cameras
aren't catered for in the current software stacks, and to be done well
would need lots of improvements to UI's / MMS etc.  Others might
disagree, but for me the camera seems like a lot of engineering work
(risk), and not worth the effort.  It'd be better to deliver a polished
device on time than a late device, or one with incomplete camera software.

Dave