Removing Glamo from GTA02 (Was: Welcome)

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Mon Apr 20 08:27:26 CEST 2009

Am Mo  20. April 2009 schrieb Rask Ingemann Lambertsen:
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 02:35:33PM -0700, Steve Mosher wrote:
> >
> > Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
> >>    So the remaining question: What is holding back the "GTA02.1"? Lower
WLAN
> >> speed? Difficulty pricing the new device? Wanting to get rid of the
> >> inventory of Glamos? Wanting to get rid of the NOR chip also while we are
at
> >> it? In addition to s/Calypso/MC75i/? No management type around to tell
> >> engineering to "just get the blasted thing out of the door"? ;-)
> >
> >     Wlan Speed was raised as an issue.
>
>    It matters if you actually get more than 12 Mbits/s at the link level and
> you're just transferring files to/from the SD card or you NFS mount your
> disks across WLAN. I know someone requested that andy-tracking kernel's
> default config have nfs root support compiled in. On the other hand, you'll
> be hard pushed to e.g. encode or decode video at those speeds I think, and
> 12 MBits/s vs. 54 Mbit/s doesn't matter for web browsing, reading your
> email, chat forums and the like.
>
> >     no problem in pricing. it costs less, I'd charge more.
>
>    Yes, there's a need to create a possibility of lowering the price when
> the GTA03 comes out, such that the GTA03 can sell at the same price as the
> GTA02 did when it was released. When I say GTA03 here, I'm thinking of a
> device targetting basicly the same users as the GTA02 did when it was
> released, but where engineering has been allowed to make major changes so as
> to follow the advances in hardware.
>
> >     NOR..always came up to complicate the decision.
> >     Calypso support and longevity as werner notes was always
> >      a question mark
>
>    My view: A NOR-less, but still unbrickable, solution just won't be ready
> in time for a "GTA02.1" release, see you in "GTA02.2". Same thing with
> s/Calypso/MC75i/. You just couldn't have a prototype with that in two weeks
> from now.

We already got working prototypes of this type of device a few months ago.
Guys are you listening what I tell you?

>    When do you want to release a "GTA02.1"? How many "GTA02.x" do you want
> to release before a GTA03 (as defined above)?
>
> >     Glamo inventory not an issue.
> >
> >     On the management issue the operative question was usually
> >     how many can you sell and when to whom.
>
>    I think largely the same people who bought a GTA01 or GTA02. If you plan
> to sell both GTA02 and "GTA02.1" at the same time, the latter will have
> faster user interface, play those YouTube videos better, so go figure which
> one the majority will go for, all else being equal.

AFAIK GTA02 is still waiting for a "break-even point" which might come
eventually if sales go up a little now that it's virtually "finalized"
hw-wise.
If we cannibalize it with selling a gta02.x I bet both devices will have a
hard time to ever see this point.

>    As to how many you need to sell for the Glamoectomy to be profitable, you
> have the numbers to do the math while I don't.
>
>    Yes, I forgot that you need to also modify the factory test rig for the
> Glamo free device. I don't know what's in it.

Now we slowly approach some state of understanding here, it seems :-)

/j