Welcome

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Mon Apr 20 09:31:00 CEST 2009

Am Mo  20. April 2009 schrieb Werner Almesberger:
> Steve Mosher wrote:
> > 1. Define a very simple project: galmoectomy.
>
> Glamectomy is simple. Getting the patient under the scalpel somewhat
> harder :)
>
> > 2. Licence the Gerber to an organization that runs the project.
>
> Yes, access to the Gerbers (or better) would be a prerequisite,
> particularly for the RF parts. Have you run this past Sean ? I
> could imagine GPS and particularly Calypso to be problematic.
>
> Using the MC75 would elegantly sidestep the Calypso issues, but
> add complexity elsewhere, particularly on the mechanical side.
>
> Considering that this would be a "test balloon", one could of
> course just drop certain troublesome subsystems, particularly
> those where nothing is supposed to change, i.e., GPS and
> Calypso, what a lucky coincidence :-)

Besides questioning the rationale of the whole approach still, I'd anyway not
be too optimistic wrt calypso, if we keep in mind #1024 e.g.

One word for clarity: GERBER is *useless* as you can't reasonably edit them.
It's all about project files. How would you implement any change in schem to
gerber? Edit the traces', vias', component placements' description by hand to
represent the changed schematics?
If you were to edit a large document, you wouldn't start the job by looking to
the postscript-file ready for transfer to printer. Same with gerber, it's
just pcb-"printer's" postscript.

/j