Removing Glamo from GTA02 (Was: Welcome)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Apr 20 15:41:08 CEST 2009

 From my distribution activities, I would say that there are already
enough debug boards around for debricking (most bricked devices I have
seen just had a completely drained battery!). And there is a stable
boot loader available to be installed in factory. So if it saves money
for a GTA02--, this complexity should be simplified. GTA01 was already
good enough...

BTW: what about reflashing from SD card? I.e. insert SD card with some
specialy namedl files on it, press AUX and POWER for some seconds and
this flashes a kernel/rootfs image into NAND? If this works
sufficiently stable and robust, I would not even mind if the
bootloader is in ROM...

Or even more cost savings: remove both, the NOR and NAND flash and add
some ROM for a minimal SD boot loader. Then boot and operate from a
large high-quality SD card (operated like an SSD). It can't be ejected
during operation anyway. Every PC boots today from the main disk...

Nikolaus

Am 20.04.2009 um 14:31 schrieb Werner Almesberger:

> I wrote:
>> - NAND trapdoor (better use IDBG instead)
>
> Ah, if the goal is to just test-drive the process, then GTA01-style
> debricking will suffice. Even easier :-)
>
> - Werner

Golden Delicious Computers GmbH&Co. KG
Buchenstr. 3
D-82041 Oberhaching
+49-89-54290367
http://www.goldelico.com

AG München, HRA 89571
VAT DE253626266
Komplementär:
Golden Delicious Computers Verwaltungs GmbH
Oberhaching, AG München, HRB 16602
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Nikolaus Schaller

Digital Tools for Independent People